Tourism business development
Tourism and the visitor economy is important to many rural areas and regions of the UK particularly those with National Parks such as the Lake District or Snowdonia, and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty such as the Shropshire Hills or the High Weald.
Most rural tourism businesses are small to medium enterprises often encouraged by economic development programmes to diversify the base of the rural economy. Farm diversification and agritourism encompasses farm attractions (e.g. petting farms), bed and breakfast and self-catering accommodation businesses. Farm based visitor enterprises are also commonly associated with the production and retailing of local, regional, organic and other speciality food.
Hospitality and catering businesses such as pubs and hotels provide essential visitor services and are important both as employers and rural community hubs. The rural environment is increasingly used by businesses offering outdoor recreation activities (horse riding and walking holidays), adventure sports, field sports and nature and wildlife experiences. Eco tourism - the sustainable use of resources for holidays and leisure, is growing as a market differentiator for some rural tourism businesses.
The Openfields library holds materials on farm diversification, agritourism and related rural economic development.
A sample of Items held in the Tourism business development category
- A future strategy for rural tourism in England and Wales
- 1326: Crafts and rural development
- Equine law: rating of equestrian property
- Developing a novel health and wellbeing service in the English countryside utilising the restorative benefits of nature
- 1344: Rural Tourism Action Plan
- Repair and maintenance contracts for small construction projects
- 2022: Selling the Farm Experience
- Farm diversification: considering the options
- 645 Migrant workers and parish and town councils
There are currently no subcategories in the Tourism business development section.
Where Am I?
The OpenFields Library is a free online library contains items of interest to practitioners and researchers in the agricultural and landbased industries.