Rivers and lakes
Rivers and streams, lakes and reservoirs are resources requiring management and protection to ensure the supply for domestic, industrial and agricultural production depends as well as offering a recreational resource for boating,fishing and other water sports and related activities.
Water quality inboth flowing andextensive bodies of watercan beaffected by the agricultural use of nutrients (leading to eutrophication), acidification, pollution from chemical contaminants and silt from runoff.
Flooding and drought, exascerbated by the effects of climate change, have a majoreconomic and social impact. Flood prevention and amelioration is practised through the use of engineered flood control techniques and upland and flood plain management. Water shortage has a direct impact upon crop growth and can limit the resources available for irrigation.
In addition to catchment management for water quality and runoff, hydrological management practices are focused on drainage engineering including, dredging, bank and ditch maintenance.
Riparian ownership rights govern the use a river, stream, or lake bordering their own property - including rights of access.
The Openfields library holds materials on the management and use of surface water resources.
A sample of Items held in the Rivers and lakes category
- Resource Protection
- 1781: Payments for Ecosystem Services: best practice
- Protecting water from agricultural run-off: an introduction (TIN098)
- Integrated management of floodplains
- 08. Catchment partnerships –better planning for our rivers and landscapes
- Managing farmland habitats for invertebrates: Ponds & Ditches
- Grazing Marsh Ditches - Sheet 5: Management for invertebrates
- Watercress growing and its environmental impacts on chalk rivers in England (NECR027)
- 702: A clear solution for farmers - England Catchment Sensitive Farming Delivery Intiative
- Water: Managing a vital resource
There are currently no subcategories in the Rivers and lakes section.
Where Am I?
The OpenFields Library is a free online library contains items of interest to practitioners and researchers in the agricultural and landbased industries.