Choosing bulls to breed for Better Returns
EBLEX Beef BRP Manual 1 on the issues to address when choosing a sire for a herd.
Year of Publication2007
This booklet, produced as part of the EBLEX Beef Better Returns Programme, aims to unravel some of the issues to address when choosing a sire for your herd – either for AI purposes or buying a bull.Topics covered include:- Drivers for herd profitability- Breeding for profitable production- Producing Estimated Breeding Values (EBVs)- Breeding for specific objectives- Growth rate- Carcase quality- Ease of calving- Maternal Performance- Breeding Indexes- Interpreting EBVs when buying a recorded bull- Selecting a bull for physical soundness
This item is categorised as follows
- Subject Collection > Livestock & dairy
- Subject Collection > Livestock & dairy > Sheep production
- Subject Collection > Climate, ecology & environment > Greenhouse Gas
- Subject Collection > Livestock & dairy > Beef production
- Subject Collection > Climate, ecology & environment > Climate change
- Subject Collection > Climate, ecology & environment
This is a brief summary of an item in the OpenFields Library. This free online library contains items of interest to practitioners and researchers in the agricultural and landbased industries.