OpenFields organises items about environmental impact into six sub-categories:
- Impact - The crops we produce in the UK and around the World could alter significantly with climate change. The weather is a vital part in farming and changes in temperature and precipitation will be important in sustaining crop growth.
- Adaptations - For the UK, temperature rises look likely to mean the crops we would normally see growing in the south of the country will be able to be grown further north. Products which haven't been farmed over here before, such as sweetcorn, sunflowers, soya and maize for cereals, could all provide new business for farmers - certainly in the south east. For land owners further north and west, such as in parts of Scotland, livestock farming could become more suitable to such climes.
- Policies - The 1997 Koyoto treaty, the 2006 Bonn conference and the 2008 G8 Toyako summit set the scene for changing national and international policies and adopting powerful and legally binding measures.
- Flood and Water Management Bill
- surface water drainage
- adaptation and resilience
- emergency planning
- making space for water
- coastal squeeze
- land stewardship
- catchment sensitive farming
- waste minimisation
- biological and thermal treatment of wastes
- hazardous waste
- wastewater treatment
- pollution abatement strategies
- endangered species
- landscape protection
- designated areas
OpenFields brings together authoritative information from universities, colleges and the industry.
A sample of Items held in the Environmental impact category
- Robot Challenge
- Managing soil biota to deliver ecosystem services Annex C – Case study three: Chalk downland, arable cropping
- Focus on: Solar PV
- Covering Slurry Stores
- Easyguide 1017: The Story of Phosphorus
- Distribution of spray applied to a cereal crop and the effect of application parameters on penetration (Summary).
- Climate change series: Focus on dairy
- 1990 Environment statistics
- Opportunities for Reducing Water use in Agriculture (Defra Project WU0101)
- 1113: State of the countryside - environmental quality
Subcategories within Environmental impact
Where Am I?
The OpenFields Library is a free online library contains items of interest to practitioners and researchers in the agricultural and landbased industries.